Rally to Move Beyond Fossil Fuels!
Come on bike or on foot, by boat, carpool or public transportation! Join the movement with Sustainable Hip Hop artist Tem Blessed, Pedal-Powered Soul and Roll band Melodeego, Living on Earth host Steve Curwood, inspiring students from Boston Latin School’s Youth Climate Action Network, updates on national and local Tar Sands Actions, and opportunities to connect with others! Bike valet parking by MassBike.
Together, we will send a loud, clear and inspiring message: we are creating a healthy, just, and sustainable world for all, and expect our elected officials and corporate executives to do the same.
- Check out Wen Stephenson’s new essay in Grist, Why I’m Walking to Walden for Moving Planet. For more press coverage, see our Press/Media page.
- Steve Curwood, Executive Producer and Host of Living on Earth, will emcee the rally! Living on Earth airs on more than 270 public radio stations in the USA. Steve has been a journalist for more than 30 years with experience at NPR, CBS News, the Boston Globe, WBUR-FM/Boston and WGBH-TV/Boston. He shared the 1975 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service as part of the Boston Globe’s education team. He is also the recipient of the 2003 Global Green Award for Media Design, the 2003 David A. Brower Award from the Sierra Club for excellence in environmental reporting, and the 1992 New England Environmental Leadership Award from Tufts University for his work on promoting environmental awareness.
9/24 Schedule (rain or shine)
- Before the event: Move Your Community from around New England to Boston.
- 3-3:45pm: Rolling parades to the Columbus Park rally, departing from North Station (corner of Beverly Street and Causeway Street), South Station (corner of Summer Street and Atlantic Avenue, under big clock), Park Street Station (corner of Park Street and Tremont Street), and Aquarium/Long Wharf North (meet at Harbor Walk). Check in with parade marshals who will direct groups of 25 or more to the rally.
- 3:50-6pm: Rally for Solutions at Columbus Waterfront Park (Aquarium T). New England will join the rest of the world in a peaceful, festive rally calling on leaders at all levels to take action to speed the transition away from fossil fuels.
- Display your efforts and vision! Share with the world what you are doing to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and express your vision of a fossil-fuel free future. Get creative to make this a festive event! Bring banners, dress up, make puppets, floats, images, & chants to reflect how you contribute to this movement.
- For more details about the rally, see 9/24 Schedule.
Individuals: Sign up to find a group or get involved
We need marshals! Sign up to be a parade marshal
Organizations: Be listed here as a sponsor/organizer
Moving Planet: New England is part of Moving Planet – an International Day of Action spearheaded by 350.org – and is convened by the Better Future Project. For more information, email MovingNewEngland@gmail.com.